108th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 108th Regiment was organized at Rochester, Monroe County, and mustered in August 18, 1862. They were mustered in for three years Federal service under Colonel Oliver H. Palmer, Lieutenant Colonel Charles J. Powers, and Major George B. Force The regiment marched to Washington, D. C., May 2-12, 1865 and were mustered out May 28, 1865under Colonel Powers at Baily's Cross Roads, Virginia. The Veterans and Recruits were transferred to 59th New York Infantry .
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 108th Regiment Infantry "Rochester Regiment", (accessed 16 August 2012).
The New York State Military Museum website has a unit history project page for the 108th Infantry Regiment, also known as Seward Infantry.
The Civil War in the East website gives a timeline for the involvement of 108th New York Infantry Regiment in the war.
An overview of the involvement of this regiment in the Antietam Campaign can be seen on the "Antietam on the Web" website.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See the Regiment Roster, for listing of individuals, their company and their involvement.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865, Albany : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Collection FHL book 974.7 M2p, FHL film 1486494-1486496
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Collection FHL book 973 M2ua
- Washburn, George H. A complete military history and record of the 108th Regiment N. Y. Vols., from 1862 to 1894: together with roster, letters, rebel oaths of allegiance, rebel passes, reminiscences, life sketches, photographs, etc., etc. ,Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America,1992 (originally published Rochester, N. Y.: G. H. Washburn, 1894). Google Books, other libraries with this book, Internet Archives, internet website,FHL CollectionFHL microfiche 6083799 (8 fiche)
- ↑ Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Sailors System (database on-line) at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/ (accessed 2010).
- ↑ Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY108.php (accessed 8 December 2010)
- ↑ ibid.
- ↑ New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : 108th Infantry Regiment” in New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/108thInf/108thInfMain.htm (accessed 7 December 2010) citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- This page was last modified on 16 August 2012, at 19:23.
- This page has been accessed 607 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More