10th Regiment, Illinois CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 10th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois and mustered in November 25, 1861. It mustered out November 22, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 10th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 13 June 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 10th Illinois Volunteer Cavalry Regiment (accessed 15 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Menard County and Sangamon County - Menard and Sangamon county web sites -Roster
- Company B - many men from Sangamon County - Sangamon County web site - Roster
- Company C - many men from Iroquois County - Iroquois County web site -Roster
- Company D - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site - Roster
- Company E - many men from Madison County and St. Clair County - Madison and St. Clair county web sites - Roster
- Company F - many men from Madison County - Madison County web site - Roster
- Company G - many men from Sangamon County and Logan County - Sangamon and Logan county web sites - Roster
- Company H - many men from Sangamon County and Coles County - Sangamon and Coles county web sites - Roster
- Company I - many men from Champaign County - Champaign County web site - Roster
- Company K - many men from Brown County - Brown County web site - Roster
- Company L - many men from Sangamon County, Christian County, Effingham County, and Pike County - Sangamon, Christian, Effingham and Pike county web sites - Roster
- Company M - many men from Coles County - Coles County web site - Roster
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 10th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- This page was last modified on 1 February 2013, at 03:03.
- This page has been accessed 1,362 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More