10th Regiment, Michigan InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 10th Regiment, Michigan Infantry was organized at Flint, Michigan. It was mustered in February 6, 1862. The regiment was mustered out July 19, 1865 and discharged at Jackson, Michigan, August 1, 1865.
For a history of this regiment see The Civil War Archives which gives a brief history, places served, and battles fought.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Wikipedia article, 10th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 13 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Hewes, Fletcher W. "History of the Formation, Movements, Camps, Scouts and Battles of the Tenth Regiment Michigan Volunteer Infantry Containing a Short Historical Sketch of Every Officer Connected with the Regiment : Also, the Names, Dates of Enlistments, Nativity, Occupation, Etc., of Every Member of the Organization, Together with Dates and Places of Discharge, Deaths, Ect. [Sic], from the First Enlistment to Date of Re-Enlistment" (Detroit: J. Slater's Book and Job Print, 1864). Digital Copy. Digital Copy. FHL Fiche 6084656 . Other Libraries .
- Michigan Adjutant General and George H. Turner. "Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 [Tenth Infantry]" (Lansing, Michigan: Michigan Adjutant-General's Dept, 1905). Digital Copy. FHL Fiche 6084655 . Other Libraries.
- Michigan Veteran Volunteer Infantry, and Fletcher W. Hewes. "Outline of the Veteran Service of the Tenth Regiment of the Michigan Veteran Volunteer Infantry: February 6, 1864-July 19, 1865" [S.l: s.n, 1891]. FHL Fiche 6084657 . Other Libraries.
- This page was last modified on 20 March 2014, at 14:08.
- This page has been accessed 2,030 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page