10th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This regiment (was also called 10th Regiment Volunteer Missouri Infantry) was organized at St. Louis, Mo., August, 1861. It was attached to Dept. of Missouri to May, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, Army of the Mississippi, to November, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 7th Division, Left Wing 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, to December, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 7th Division, 16th Army Corps, to January, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 7th Division, 17th Army Corps, to September, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 17th Army Corps, to December, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 15th Army Corps, to October, 1864.<br>
Companies "A," "B," "C," "D," "E," "F" and "G" left for muster out August 17, and mustered out August 24, 1864. Company "H" attached to Company "E," 24th Missouri Infantry. Companies "I" and "K" mustered out October 31, 1864.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 10th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 25 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - Captain Samuel W. Craft, Captain Charles A. Gilchrist - enrolled in Littleton, Schuyler County
Company B - Captain William F. Bagne, Captain Albert D. Grey - enrolled in Canton, Lewis County
Company C - Captain James B. Fitch, Captain Andrew J. Lovell, Captain David W. McClurken - enrolled in Pike County, Illinois
Company D - Captain D. C. Daughterty - enrolled in St. Louis, St. Louis County
Company E - Captain Elisha H. Henry, Captain Joseph K. Lloyd, Captain Thomas D. Sewell (Seawell), Captain Joseph Walker - enrolled in Nashville, Washinton County
Company F - Captain Morris, Frazee, Captain Andrew C. Todd - enrolled in Coulterville, Washington County
Company G - Captain William A. J. Russell, Captain Isaac N. VanHosen - enrolled in Palmyra, Marion County
Company H - Captain James F. Dougherty (Daugherty), Captain Christian Haeppel, Captain William B. White - enrolled in Macon, Macon County
Company I - Captain Erastus, Morse, Captain Joel W. Strong - enrolled in Hannibal, Marion County
Company K - Captain William Forbes, Captain George Happenheimer, Captain James B. Logan, Captain Schuyler VanGiffen - enrolled in Hannibal, Marion County
The information about the companies and counties is from Kenneth E. Weant's book, Civil War Records, Missouri Volunteer Infantry, Volume 2, Three Year Volunteer Regiments 4-10, (Arlington, Texas: K.E. Weant, c2011), pages 95-112. FHL 977.8 M2wkv v. 2
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Missouri in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Missouri in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Missouri, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frost, M. O. History of the Tenth Regiment M.V.I. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082533
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2014, at 17:07.
- This page has been accessed 1,158 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page