10th Regiment, New York CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 10th Regiment, New York Cavalry was mustered in December 18, 1861 and transferred to 6th New York Battery Light Artillery June 21, 1864.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company G – Principally recruited in Chemung County.
Company H – Principally recruited in Chemung County.
Company I – Principally recruited in Fulton County.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frederick Henry Dyer,A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line)
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database.
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- Porter, Burton B. One of the people : his own story. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL fiche 6083630
- Preston, Noble Delance. History of the Tenth Regiment of Cavalry New York State Volunteers, August, 1861, to August, 1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083631and (Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1975) FHL Film 1491112 and Reunion proceedings of the former members of the Tenth New York Cavalry, 1866-1905. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL fiche 6083628
- Tenth New York Cavalry Association (Syracuse, New York). Fiftieth anniversary and reunion of the Tenth New York Cavalry Association. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083629
- Tremain, Lyman; Tremain, Frederick Lyman.Memorial of Frederick Lyman Tremain, late lieut, col. of the 10th N. Y. Cavalry : who was mortally wounded at the battle of Hatcher's Run, Va., February 6th, and died at City Point Hospital, February 8th, 1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992)FHL Fiche 6083632
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- This page was last modified on 4 March 2014, at 17:08.
- This page has been accessed 1,183 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More