119th Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 119th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Quincy, Illinois, and mustered in October 7, 1862. They march to Montgomery April 13-25. Return to Mobile and duty there until August.
It mustered out August 26, 1865. .
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 119th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 15 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Adams County - Adams County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 320.
- Company B - many men from Schuyler County - Schuyler County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 322.
- Company C - many men from Schuyler County - Schuyler County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 324.
- Company D - many men from Brown County - Brown County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 326.
- Company E - many men from Brown County - Brown County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 327.
- Company F - many men from Schuyler County - Schuyler County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 329.
- Company G - many men from Adams County - Adams County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 331.
- Company H - many men from McDonough County - McDonough County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 333.
- Company I - many men from Adams County - Adams County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 335.
- Company K - many men from Hancock and Montgomery counties - Hancock and Montgomery county web sites - Roster, vol. 6, page 336.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 6, page 338.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 119th Regiment(accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 48th-53rd Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488474 . Other libraries with this microfilm.
- This page was last modified on 23 January 2013, at 02:37.
- This page has been accessed 1,007 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki