11th Regiment, Minnesota InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 11th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry was organized at Fort Snelling, Minnesota, on August and September, 1864. It mustered out on June 26, 1865, and discharged at St. Paul July 11, 1865.
For more information on this regiment see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 9 Dec 2010) article on the 11th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archives, (accessed 9 Dec 2010) has brief history of the 11th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks. Also see the Dalby Database, a site from Minnesota, searchable by men, counties, regiments and companies.
Company A - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 500.
Company B - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 503.
Company C - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 506.
Company D - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 509.
Company E - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 512.
Company F - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 515.
Company G - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 518.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Minnesota in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Minnesota in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Minnesota, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Rootsweb. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) 11th Regiment history and a roster of the men from Wabasha county.
- The Civil War Index. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) Website with Minnesota regimental histories.
- Webb-Deiss Research. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) A website by Loren Webb and Harvey Webb Company D, 11th Regiment Minnesota Infantry Volunteers. Brief descriptions and biographies of the enlisted men. Has sources.
- Research OnLine. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) 11th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment page with a brief history and a biblography.
- MilitaryHistoryOnline, (accessed 9 December 2010) has submissions by people about their ancestors who served in the Civil War.
- Carley, Kenneth and Richard Moe.Minnesota in the Civil War: An Illustrated History, (Minnesota Historical Society Press, c2000). Book of battle histories, photographs, short biographies and a roster of the different regiments with their officers, beginning on page 204. Google book (Not all pages are shown). Other libraries with this book.
- Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies : [Minnesota]. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993). FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084700. Other libraries with this book.
- Minnesota. Minnesota in the Civil and Indian Wars 1861-1865. (St. Paul, Minn: Electrotyped and printed for the State by the Pioneer Press Company, 1890).FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Book 977.6 H2bc. Other libraries with this book. Click on the FHL Collection link to view this book online. It contains detailed histories and rosters of each Minnesota Military Unit.
- Minnesota. Adjutant General's Office. Minnesota Adjutant General's Report of 1866. (Roseville, Minnesota : Park Genealogical Books, c1997). FHL US/CAN Book 977.6 M2ma Other libraries with this book. Arranged in alphabetical order by soldier's name. Gives soldier's name, age, birthplace, rank, regiment, company, date and place mustered in, date and place mustered out, and other information.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Film 1488543. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- This page was last modified on 20 March 2014, at 17:35.
- This page has been accessed 1,604 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page