11th Regiment, New York CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 11th Regiment, New York Cavalry and organized at New York City December, 1861, to May, 1862 and mustered out at Memphis, Tenn., September 30, 1865, and honorably discharged from service.
Ffor more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 11th Regiment Cavalry "Scott's 900", (accessed 27 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A – Principally recruited in New York City and Westchester County.
Company B – Principally recruited in New York City.
Company D – Principally recruited in St. Lawrence County.
Company E – Principally recruited in New York City, and Suffolk County.
Company H – Principally recruited in New York City, Clinton County and Jefferson County. Company I – Principally recruited in New York City, Essex County and St. Lawrence County, Company K – Principally recruited in New York City, Cayuga County, Clinton County, Essex County, and Seneca County.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line)
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs."Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database.
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- Smith, Thomas West. The story of a cavalry regiment : "Scott's 900", eleventh New York Cavalry, from the St. Lawrence River to the Gulf of Mexico 1861-1865. ( Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1988)FHL Film 1549967 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083634
- Calvert, Henry Murray.Reminiscences of a boy in blue, 1862-1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083633
- This page was last modified on 6 March 2014, at 18:26.
- This page has been accessed 805 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki