11th Virginia Regiment (Revolutionary War)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 11th Regiment was formed in February 1777. The 11th Regiment was also known as Morgan's Rifles. Companies recruited men from Loudoun, Frederick, Prince William, and Amelia counties. Field officers at Valley Forge were Colonel Daniel Morgan, Lt. Colonel John Cropper, Major Thomas Snead, and Major Thomas Massie.
- 1776-1778 - Colonel Daniel Morgan in command 12 Nov 1776 to 14 Sep 1778
- 1778-1781 - Colonel Abraham Buford in command 14 Sep 1778 to 12 Feb 1781
- Company - Captain William Blackwell
- Company - Captain Peter B. Bruin
- Company - Captain Charles Gallchue
- Company - Captain Gabriel Long
- Company - Captain Charles Porterfield
- Company - Captain William Smith
- Company - Captain George Rice, org. 18 January 1777 - many men from Frederick and Augusta counties
- Company - Captain Porter Fields
- Company - Captain William Brady
- The information above is from 11th Virginia Regiment at Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project.
- Rosters Companies 1-8
- ↑ "11th Virginia Regiment," Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project, http://valleyforgemusterroll.org/regiments/va11.asp, accessed 23 January 2012.
- ↑ F.B. Heitman, Historical Register of Officers of the Continental Army During the War of the Revolution, April, 1775, to December, 1783 (Washington, D.C.: W.H. Lowdermilk and Co., 1893), 53. Digitized by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Wikipedia Contributors, "11th Virginia Regiment," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11th_Virginia_Regiment, accessed 23 January 2012.
- This page was last modified on 14 November 2012, at 03:10.
- This page has been accessed 2,905 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page