120th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Columbus, Indiana, December, 1863, to March, 1864. It was at Charlotte and Greensboro, North Carolina, till August 21, and at Raleigh till January, 1866. They mustered out January 8, 1866.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 120th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 24 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Bartholomew and Jennings counties - see Roster on page 313
- Company B - many men from Montgomeny County - see Roster on page 133
- Company C - many men from Montgomeny County - see Roster on page 134
- Company D - many men from Warrick and Gibson counties - see Roster on page 136
- Company E - many men from Warrick County - see Roster on page 138
- Company F- many men from Knox, Gibson, Spencer, Pulaski, and, Vanderburgh counties - see Roster on page 139
- Company G - many men from Knox, Martin, Gibson, and Sullivan counties - see Roster on page 141
- Company H - many men from Jennings, Lawrence, and Jackson counties - see Roster on page 142
- Company I - many men from Brown and Lawrence counties - see Roster on page 144
- Company K - many men from Lawrence and Brown counties - see Roster on page 146
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 147
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 120th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 120th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 120th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Diary of William C. Benson, Indiana soldier of the 120th Regiment of the Indiana Volunteers.(accessed 31 Mar 2011)
- Benson, William C., "Civil War Diary of William C. Benson" (Indiana Magazine of History 23, no. 3 (September 1927): 333-364.) 1864-1865, Gibson County (Princeton), 120th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. D , Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF (accessef 5 Apr 2011)
- .Hudson, David Mitchell, "Civil War Letters of David Mitchell Hudson", ( ed. Roy Hudson,Indiana Magazine of History 47, no. 2 (June 1951): 191-208.)1864, Jennings County, 120th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. K Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF (accessed 7 Apr 2011)
- This page was last modified on 23 May 2012, at 18:26.
- This page has been accessed 1,703 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki