123rd Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Greensburg, Terre Haute and Indianapolis, Indiana, December 25, 1863, to March 7, 1864. It had duty at Charlotte and Raleigh, North Carloline, till August. They mustered out August 25, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 123rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 24 May 20 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Decatur County- see Roster on page 167
- Company B - many men from Decatur and FranklinCounties - see Roster on page 168
- Company C - many men from Decatur, Vigo and Parke Counties - see Roster on page 170
- Company D - many men from Decatur, Franklinand [[Ripley_County,_Indiana|Ripley] ]Counties - see Roster on page 172
- Company E - many men from Rush and Marion Counties - see Roster on page 173
- Company F- many men from Putnam County- see Roster on page 174
- Company G - many men from Putnam and Ripley Counties - see Roster on page 176
- Company H - many men from Decatur and Marion Counties - see Roster on page 177
- Company I - many men from Decatur and Franklin Counties - see Roster on page 179
- Company K - many men from Dearborn and Franklin Counties - see Roster on page 180
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 182
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 123rd Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 123rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 123rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
Kaler, William S. Roster and History of the One Hundred and Twenty-Third Regiment,I. V. I. In the War of the Rebellion. ( Rushville, Ind: Press of the American], 1899) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084431 (1 fiche) FHL Collection other libraries Internet Archive
- This page was last modified on 11 November 2012, at 02:08.
- This page has been accessed 1,992 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page