125th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 125th Regiment was organized at Troy,Rensselaer, New York, and mustered in August 29, 1862. The men were mustered under Colonel George Willard, Lieutenant Colonel Levin Crandall, and Major James Bush. ustered out at Alexandria, Va., June 5, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 125th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 16 August 2012).
The Civil War in the East website gives a timeline for the involvement of 125th New York Infantry Regiment in the war.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See the Regiment Roster, for listing of individuals, their company and their involvement.
Company A - principally recruited from Hoosick Falls, Rensselaer County
Company B - principally recruited from Troy, Rensselaer County
Company C - principally recruited from Lansingburg, Troy, Sandlake, Pittstown and Schaghticoke, all of Rensselaer County
Company D - principally recruited from Troy, Rensselaer County
Company E - principally recruited from Sandlake, Stephentown, Nassau and Hoag's Corner, all of Rensselaer County
Company F - principally recruited from Troy and Poestenkill of Rensselaer County
Company H - principally recruited from Troy, Rensselaer County
Company K - principally recruited from Schaghticoke and Troy of Rensselaer County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Adams, John R. Memorial and letters of Rev. John R. Adams : D.D., chaplain of the Fifth Maine and the One Hundred and Twenty-First New York regiments : during the war of the rebellion, serving from the beginning to its close. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6082987
- Lord, George A. A short narrative and military experience of Corp. G. A'Lord ... : containing a brief sketch of the war, the Constitution of the United States in full, a correct list of stamp duties, and also patriotic songs of the latest selection. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992)FHL Fiche 6083823
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line)
- Phisterer, Frederick.New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865, Albany, N.Y.: J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Collection FHL book 974.7 M2p, FHL film 1486494-1486496
- Simons, Ezra de Freest. A regimental history : the One Hundred and Twenty-Fifth New York State Volunteers. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083824and (Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photo duplication Service, 1975)FHL Film 1491111
- The Union Army & A History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Collection FHL book 973 M2ua
- ↑ Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System (database on-line) at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/ (accessed 2010).
- ↑ Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY125.php (accessed 7 December 2010)
- This page was last modified on 3 March 2014, at 17:43.
- This page has been accessed 1,610 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki