12th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, May 27 to August 27, 1862 they mustered in August 17, 1862. The Veterans and Recruits transferred to the 48th and 59th Indiana Infantry.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 12th Regiment Infantry (3 Years), (accessed 27 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Staff - see Roster
- Reorganized Officer - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Floyd County - see Roster on page 201
- Company A - Reorganized Soldier of Jennings, Marion, Huntington, Tippecanoe, and Marshall counties - see Roster on page 173
- Company B - many men from Hancock County - see Roster on page 203
- Company B - Reorganized Soldier of Allen, White and Noble counties - see Roster on page 219
- Company C - many men from Jefferson County - see Roster on page 204
- Company C - Reorganized Soldier of Grant and Noble counties - see Roster on page 221
- Company D - many men from Hamilton County - see Roster on page 206
- Company D - Reorganized Soldier of White, and Carroll counties - see Roster on page 223
- Company E - many men from Kosciusko County - see Roster on page 207
- Company E - Reorganized Soldier of Morgan County - see Roster on page 225
- Company F - many men from Allen County - see Roster on page 209
- Company F - Reorganized Soldier of Kosciusko County - see Roster on page 227
- Company G - many men from Allen County - see Roster on page 210
- Company G - Reorganized Soldier of Hancock, Allen, and Madison counties - see Roster on page 228
- Company H - many men from Grant County - see Roster on page 211
- Company H - Reorganized Soldier of Bartholomew, and Hancock counties - see Roster on page 230
- Company I - many men from Grant County - see Roster on page 213
- Company I - Reorganized Soldier Kosciusko County - see Roster on page 232
- Company K - many men from Jennings County - see Roster on page 214
- Company K - Reorganized Soldier of Allen County - see Roster on page 196
- unassiged recuits - Roster on page 199
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 12th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site.
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 30 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 12th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 12th Regiment, Indiana Infantry..
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana.
- 12th Indiana Infantry Regiment (accessed 30 Dec 2010) timeline
- 12th Indiana Infantry Company F (Three Year Regiment), Civil War, A Virtual Cemetery created by: Eric Lowman
- Gage, Moses D. From Vicksburg to Raleigh, or, a complete history of the Twelfth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry : and the campaigns of Grant and Sherman, with an outline of the great rebellion. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6084372
- This page was last modified on 24 January 2014, at 22:28.
- This page has been accessed 2,005 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page