131st Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 131st Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Old Fort Massac and mustered in November 13, 1862. The Regiment consolidated with 29th Illinois Infantry November 15, 1863. .
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 131st Regiment Infantry, (accessed 15 June 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 131st Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 15 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Massac and Pope counties - Massac and Pope counties web sites - Roster, vol. 6, page 590.
- Company B - many men from Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, and Pope counties - Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, and Pope county web sites - Roster, vol. 6, page 591.
- Company C - man men from Massac County - Massac County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 593.
- Company D - many men from many men from Gallatin, Hardin and Massac counties - Gallatin, Hardin and Massac county web sites - Roster, vol. 6, page 594.
- Company E - many men from Gallatin County - Gallatin County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 596.
- Company F - many men from Hardin County - Hardin County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 597.
- Company G - many men from Gallatin County - Gallatin County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 598.
- Company H - many men from Massac and Pope counties - Massac and Pope counties web sites - Roster, vol. 6, page 600.
- Company I - many men from Hamilton County - Hamilton County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 601.
- Company K - many men from Hamilton County - Hamilton County web site - Roster, vol. 6, page 603.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
BOOKS & FILMS
- Hewett, Janet B and United States. War Department. Supplement to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. (Wilmington, North Carolina : Broadfoot Pub. Co., c1994-2001). Part II v. 12 (Union Infantry 50th-60th).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 973 M29u ser. 1 supp. pt. 2 v. 12. Other libraries with this book.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 48th-53rd Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488474 . Other libraries with this microfilm.
- This page was last modified on 23 January 2013, at 02:16.
- This page has been accessed 888 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More