144th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Ind., and mustered in March 6, 1865. Duty at Halltown, Charleston, Winchester, Stevenson's Depot and Opequan Creek till August. They mustered out August 5, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 144th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 25 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Floyd and Washington counties - see Roster on page 474
- Company B - many men fromClark and Posey counties - see Roster on page 475
- Company C - many men from Clark and Lawence counties - see Roster on page 477
- Company D - many men from Crawford County - see Roster on page 478
- Company E - many men from Harrison County - see Roster on page 480
- Company F- many men from Orange and Washington counties - see Roster on page 481
- Company G - many men from Floyd Counties - see Roster on page 483
- Company H - many men from Scott, Lawrence and Batholomew counties - see Roster on page 484
- Company I - many men from Owen, Perry, and Harrison counties - see Roster on page 486
- Company K - many men from Clay, Jennings, Floyd, and Randolph counties - see Roster on page 487
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 144th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 144th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 144th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 144th Indiana Infantry Regiment (accessed 20 Dec 2010) timeline
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ "Military History" Chapter 7 in History of Washington County Indiana: A Re-Production of the Original "History of Lawrence, Orange and Washington Counties" 1884. (Salem, Ind: Washington County Historical Society, 1999.),(page 813, Regiment, Companies),977.226 H2Lc FHL FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- This page was last modified on 6 December 2013, at 18:57.
- This page has been accessed 1,936 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki