14th Regiment, Illinois CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 14th Regiment, Illinois cavalry was organized at Peoria, Ills., and mustered in 1st and 2nd Battalions, January 7, 1863. 3rd Battalion February 6, 1863. It mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee, July 31, 1865. .
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 14th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 14 June 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 14th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Knox County and Cook County - Knox and Cook county web sites -
- Company B - many men from Peoria County - Peoria County web site -
- Company C - many men from LaSalle County - LaSalle County web site -
- Company D - many men from Cook County and Logan County - Cook and Logan county web sites -
- Company E - many men from Gallatin County and Johnson County - Gallatin and Johnson county web sites -
- Company F - many men from Fayette County - Fayette County web site -
- Company G - many men from Johnson County - Johnson County web site -
- Company H - many men from White County - White County web site -
- Company I - many men from Stephenson County - Stephenson County web site -
- Company K - many men from Johnson County and Cook County - Johnson and Cook county web sites -
- Company L - many men from Rock Island County and DeKalb County - Rock Island and De Kalb county web sites -
- Company M - many men from Peoria County and Cook County - Peoria and Cook county web sites -
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 14th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2013, at 01:44.
- This page has been accessed 1,255 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki