14th Regiment, Maine InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 14th Regiment, Maine Infantry was organized at Augusta,and muster in December 31, 1861. They mustered out:January 13, 1865 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 14th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 30 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 14th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 6 July 2012).
14th Regiment, Maine Infantry timeline from organization to discharge.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - Captain Charles Barnard company - roster
Company B - Captain Richard W. Mullen's Company B - roster many men from New Orleans
Company C - Captain Andrew F. F. Hall's Company C -roster many men from New Orleans
Company D - Captain James W. Wiswell's Company D - roster
Company E - Captain Orlando W. Trask's Company E - roster
Company F - Captain John K. Laing's Company F - roster
Company G - Captain George H. Cheney's Company G - roster
Company H - Captain Winslow Robert's Company H - roster many men from New Orleans
Company I - Captain Ira B. Gardiner's Company I - roster
Company K - Captain Edward A. Skinner's Company K - roster
Roster of men in 14th Regiment Infantry at Ancestry.com $
Books and Films
- Fourteenth regt., Maine Infantry: roster of survivors FHL 6083000 - Includes a description of activities of the 14th Maine Infantry Regiment in the following battles or localities: Baton Rouge, La.; Expedition to Ponchatoula, La.; Expedition to Amite River, La.; Port Hudson, La.; Expedition to Sabine Pass, Tx.; Western Louisiana ("Teche") Campaign; Deep Bottom, Va.; 3rd Winchester, Va.; Cedar Creek, Va.
- Fourteenth regt, arthor: Carver, Willard; Includes a description of the activities of the 14th Maine Infantry Regiment. ebook at Archives.org
- Carver, Willard. Fourteenth regt., Maine Infantry : roster of survivors. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991),FHL book fiche 6083000
- Gardner, Ira B. Recollections of a boy member of Co. I, Fourteenth Maine Volunteers, 1861-1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083001
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Maine in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Maine in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Maine, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Fourteenth Regiment Infantry Maine Volunteers including Battalion Fourteenth Regiment Infantry. Includes regimental flag, history and company rosters (incomplete).
- This page was last modified on 29 January 2014, at 21:34.
- This page has been accessed 745 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More