14th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 14th Regiment, New York Infantry was oganized at Albany, N. Y., and mustered in for two years' service May 24, 1861. .
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 14th Regiment Infantry "1st Oneida County Regiment", (accessed 2 August 2012:
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A – Principally recruited in Oneida County.
Company B – Principally recruited in Oneida County.
Company C – Principally recruited in Oneida County.
Company D – Principally recruited in Oneida County.
Company E – Principally recruited in Oneida_County,
Company G – Principally recruited in Oneida County.
Company H – Principally recoruited in Onondaga County.
Company K – Principally recruited in Columbia County.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frederick Henry Dyer. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line)
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Hawks, Steve. The Civil War in the East. Database.
- Low, Seth. Address delivered by Hon. Seth Low at Gettysburg, Oct. 19, 1887 at the dedication of the soldiers' monument to the Fourteenth Regiment of Brooklyn. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083776
- Marquis, D. R and Tevis, C. V. The history of the fighting Fourteenth : published in commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the muster of the regiment into the United States service, May 23, 1881. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992 FHL Fiche 6083778
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- Tevis, C. V. and Marquis, D. R. The history of the fighting fourteenth. (The history of the fighting fourteenth) FHL 974.7 M2te This is about Brooklyn's 14th, not Oneida's.
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 14th (1861-1911). Reception of the Oneida Volunteers at the City of New York, June, 1861. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083681
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- This page was last modified on 20 February 2014, at 18:09.
- This page has been accessed 591 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More