152nd Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 152nd regiment was organized at Mohawk, Herkimer County and mustered in October 14, 1862 under Colonel Leonard Boyer, Lieutenant Colonel Alonzo Ferguson and Major George Spalding.
The regiment was mustered out at Washington, D. C., June 13, 1865 under Colonel Thompson, Lieutenant Colonel Curtiss. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 152nd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 17 August 2012).
The New York State Military Museum website has a unit history project page for the 152nd Infantry Regiment.
The Civil War in the East website gives a timeline for the involvement of 152nd New York Infantry Regiment in the war.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See the Regiment Roster, for listing of individuals, their company and their involvement.
Company A - principally recruited from Herkimer, Little Falls and Mannheim, each in Herkimer County
Company F - principally recruited from Little Falls, Fairfield, Mannheim, Warren, Newport and Danube, all in Herkimer County
Company G - principally recruited from Otego, Butternuts, Oneonta, Otego and Exeter, all in Otsego County
Company H - principally recruited from Hartwick, Laurens, New Lisbon, Pittsfield, Milford and Maryland, all in Otsego County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Krutz, David P. Distant drums : Herkimer County, New York in the War of the Rebellion. Utica, New York : North Country Books,1997. Other libraries with this book , FHL Book 974.761 M2k
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Collection FHL book 974.7 M2p, FHL film 1486494-1486496
- Roback, Henry. The veteran volunteers of Herkimer and Otsego counties in the war of the rebellion : being a history of the 152d N. Y. V. with scenes, incidents, etc., which occurred in the ranks, of the 34th N.Y., 97th N.Y., 121st N.Y., 2d N.Y. Heavy Artillery, and 1st and 2d N.Y. Mounted Rifles, also the active part performed by the boys in blue who were associated with the 152d N.Y.V. in Gen. Hancock's Second Army Corps during Grant's campaign, from the wilderness to the surrender of Gen. Lee at Appomattox Court House. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083578
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Collection FHL book 973 M2ua
- ↑ Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System (database on-line) at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/ (accessed 2010).
- ↑ New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : 152nd Infantry Regiment” in New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/152ndInf/152ndInfMain.htm (accessed 20 December 2010) citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- ↑ Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY152.php (accessed 20 December 2010)
- This page was last modified on 6 December 2013, at 19:50.
- This page has been accessed 1,376 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki