15th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Lafayette, Indiana, for one year's service May, 1861. They reorganized for three years' service and mustered in June 14, 1861. It was mustered out June 16, 1864 (expiration of term). The Veterans and Recruits transferred to 17th Indiana Infantry.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 15th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 2 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 15th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 20 June 2012)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer with Staff - see Roster
- Non-Commissioned - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Fountain County - see Roster on page 291
- Company B - many men from St. Joseph County - see Roster on page 293
- Company C - many men from Allen County - see Roster on page 295
- Company D - many men from Benton County - see Roster on page 296
- Company E - many men from Montgomery County - see Roster on page 298
- Company F - many men from Putman County - see Roster on page 299
- Company G - many men from La Porte County - see Roster on page 301
- Company H - many men from Jasper County - see Roster on page 302
- Company I - many men from Union County - see Roster on page 304
- Company K - many men from Tippecanoe County - see Roster on page 305
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 307
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 15th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry web site. (accessed 15 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 15th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 9th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
BOOKS and FILMS
- Company "B", Fifteenth regiment, Indiana infantry volunteers, thee year (accessed 01 Jan 2011) was principally made up from St Joseph country. On page 719 on this book, give person from St. Joseph Country. Howard, Timothy Edward, A History of St. Joseph County, Indiana (Chicago, Illinois : Lewis Publishing Company, 1907 ) FHL US/CAN Book 977.289 H2h v.2 pt .2 FHL 1550208 Other libraries with this book
- United States, and Edward M. Burns. 1889. Historical sketch of the organization and service of the Fifteenth Regiment Indiana Volunteers and third annual reunion .. Also a roster of surviving members. .FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084374 (1 fiche) FHL Collection other libraries
- Smith, Samuel Thomas. The life and letters of Pvt. Samuel Thomas Smith, Fifteenth Indiana Regiment, Volunteers Civil War. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1989), FHL film 1638367 Item 6
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ "Military History" Chapter 16 in History of Jackson County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present, with Biographical Sketches, Notes, Etc.: Together with an Extended History of the Northwest, the Indiana Territory and the State of Indiana. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic Inc, 1972.) Page 532-580, 977.223 H2b 1972 FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other library
- This page was last modified on 29 January 2014, at 16:00.
- This page has been accessed 1,696 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page