15th Regiment, Maine InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 15th Regiment, Maine Infantry was organized at Augusta,and mustered in January 20, 1862. They mustered out June 5, 1865,with Non-Veterans mustered out January 15, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 15th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 30 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 15th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 6 July 2012).
15th Regiment, Maine Infantry timeline from organization to discharge.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
List of men in 15th Regiment Infantry at Ancestry.com $
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Maine in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Maine in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Maine, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The story of the Maine Fifteenth : being a brief narrative of the more important events in the history of the Fifteenth Maine regiment, together with a complete roster of the regiment ... and illustrations and brief biographical sketches of nearly all the commissioned officers of the regiment Google Books and Shorey, Henry Augustus. (Bridgton, Maine : Bridgton News, 1890), FHL book 974.1 M2sh.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 05:06.
- This page has been accessed 1,728 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News