15th Regiment, Michigan InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 15th Regiment, Michigan Infantry was organized at Detroit, Monroe and Grand Rapids, Michigan, October 16, 1861, to March 13, 1862. It was Mustered in March 20, 1862. The Regiment was mustered out August 18, 1865. 
For a history of this regiment see Michigan Genealogy on the Web which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
- The Wikipedia article, 15th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 13 July 2012).
- The Civil War Archive section, [], (accessed 13 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lanman, Charles. "The Red Book of Michigan; A Civil, Military and Biographical History" (Detroit: E. B. Smith & company, 1871). Page 360-363. GoogleBooks FHL Film 1425611 . Other Libraries
- Michigan, and George H. Turner. Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 [Fifteenth Infantry]. Lansing, Mich: Michigan Adjutant-General's Dept, 1905. FHL Fiche 6084665 . Other Libraries.
- Seeking Michigan website. Michigan Civil War Volunteer Registries-15th Michigan infantry. Lists History, officers, and individual soldiers with brief information. (Accessed 2 Aug 2011)
- This page was last modified on 21 April 2014, at 05:53.
- This page has been accessed 1,512 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki