15th Regiment, New York EngineersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 15th Regiment, New York Engineers was organized at Washington, D. C., October 25, 1861, from 15th Regiment New York Infantry.
The regiment mustered out Companies "E," "F," "G," "H," "I," "K," "L" and "M" at Washington, D. C., June 13, 1865; Companies "C" June 14, 1865, and Companies "A," "B" and "D" July 2, 1865. .
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 15th Regiment Engineers, (accessed 2 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line)
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database.
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- Quaerendo Reminisco, Don Pedro. Life in the Union Army, or Notings and reminiscences of a two years' volunteer : a rythmical history of the Fifteenth N.Y. Volunteer Engineers, Colonel John McLeod Murphy, during its recent two years' campaign in and about Washington, and in the state of Virginia. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083645
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- This page was last modified on 4 March 2014, at 17:14.
- This page has been accessed 770 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More