160th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 160th regiment was organized at Auburn, Cayuga County under Colonel Charles C. Dwight, Lieutenant Colonel John Van Petten and Major William Sentell and mustered in November 21, 1862.
Moved to Savannah, Georgia, and attached to 3rd Brigade, Dwight's Division, Department of the South, June 30-July 7, 1865. They were mustered out November 1, 1865 under Colonel Henry P. Underhill, Lt. Colonel Burrud and Major Vaughan. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 160th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 22 August 2012).
The New York State Military Museum website has a unit history project page for the 160th Infantry Regiment.
The Civil War in the East website gives a timeline for the involvement of 160th New York Infantry Regiment in the war.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See the Regiment Roster, for listing of individuals, their company and their involvement.
Company C - principally recruited from Auburn, Cayuga County
Company D - principally recruited from Marion, Sodus and Williamson, all in Wayne County
Company F - principally recruited from Auburn, Moravia, Locke, Summer Hill, Sempronius, Sennett, Owasco, Victory, Sterling and Venice, all in Cayuga County
Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System has the information listed above and may have additional historical information. Searches can be made by name of a soldier or sailor. Information about cemeteries battles, prisoners, medals of honor and national parks is also included.
The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- ↑ Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (database on-line) at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/ (accessed 2010).
- ↑ New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : 160th Infantry Regiment” in New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/160thInf/160thInfMain.htm (accessed 22 December 2010) citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- ↑ Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY160.php (accessed 22 December 2010)
- This page was last modified on 13 December 2013, at 16:27.
- This page has been accessed 933 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki