168th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 168th regiment was organized at Newburgh, Orange County, and mustered in February 11, 1863 under Colonel William R. Brown, Lieutenant Colonel James Low and Major George Waller. This unit was originally the 19th Militia of the National Guard.
The regiment served guard duty along Orange & Alexandria Railroad, Virginia, until October, 1863. They were mustered out October 31, 1863 under Colonel Brown & Lt. Colonel Low.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 168th Regiment Infantry "19th State Militia Infantry", (accessed 22 August 2012).
The New York State Military Museum website has a unit history project page for the 168th Infantry Regiment.
The Civil War in the East website gives a timeline for the involvement of 168th New York Infantry Regiment in the war.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See the Regiment Roster, for listing of individuals, their company and their involvement.
Company C - principally recruited from Washington Continentals
Company D - principally recruited from Washington Continentals
Company I - principally recruited from Newburgh, Orange County
National Park Service. Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System has the information listed above and may have additional historical information. Searches can be made by name of a soldier or sailor. Information about cemeteries battles, prisoners, medals of honor and national parks is also included.
The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (accessed March 2011)
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project: New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center" citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912). (accessed May 2011)
Hawks, Steve. The Civil War in the East. Database. (accessed May 2011)
Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
New York. Adjutant General's Office. Annual report of the Adjutant General of the State of New York for the year 1905, FHL US/CAN Fiche #6083550 contains the register for the 168th New York Infantry.
- ↑ Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System (database on-line) at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/ (accessed 2010).
- ↑ New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : 168th Infantry Regiment” in New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/168thInf/168thInfMain.htm (accessed 30 December 2010) citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- ↑ Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY168.php (accessed 30 December 2010)
- This page was last modified on 22 August 2012, at 18:44.
- This page has been accessed 715 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More