16th/24th Consolidated Regiment, South Carolina InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
United States U.S. Military South Carolina South Carolina Military South Carolina in the Civil War South Carolina Civil War Confederate Units 15th through 51st 16th/24th Consolidated Regiment, South Carolina Infantry
The 16th and 24th Infantry Regiments consolidated on April 9, 1865 at High Point, North Carolina. Benjamin Burgh Smith was appointed the colonel. They did not fight in any battles. When the Army of Tennessee surrendered later in April, these two regiments disbanded.
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit  .
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Companies A, B, D, E and F where from the original 16th Regiment:*Companies C, G, H, I and K were from the original 24th Regiment
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army as their main source for the regiment history.FHL book 973 M2crua, WorldCat. This book does not contain any history for this unit.
- Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of South Carolina. Microfilm publication M267. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Services, 1958. These records have been indexed and digitized and are available at Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- Seigler, Robert S. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 4. This book has an overview about the creation of the military units for service during the Civil War. There are four volumes which are divided into areas of the State. There is information about the different military units including dates of organization and service, company officers, battle engagements, company names and places of origin, and a few pictures. This book is also available through other libraries.
- ↑ Robert S. Seigler. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. (Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008.), v. 4, p 91-93. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 4. The book goes into greater detail about the companies and the different military units they served in. Also the book may give more information about the different units this Battalion served with.
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ :*Companies C, G, H, I and K were from the original 24th Regiment<ref/>
- This page was last modified on 11 January 2013, at 02:38.
- This page has been accessed 495 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki