16th Regiment, Michigan InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 16th Regiment, Michigan Infantry was organized at: Plymouth and Detroit, Michigan, July to September, 1861. It was mustered out: July 8, 1865 at Jeffersonville, Indiana. 
For a history of this regiment see Michigan in the Civil War Website which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
- The Wikipedia article, 16th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 13 July 2012).
- The Civil War Archive section, 16th Regiment Infantry (Stockton's Independent Regiment),(accessed 21 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
2nd Company of Sharpshooters or "Jardine's Sharpshooters"- Many men from Saginaw County - see Roster
Unassigned Company - Many men from Wayne County - see Roster
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Adjutant General, Michigan, and George H. Turner. "Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 [Sixteenth Infantry]" (Lansing, Michigan: Michigan Adjutant-General's Dept, 1905). FHL Fiche 6084666 Other Li braries.
- Seeking Michigan website. Gives Regimental History and information on individual soldiers from Michigan in this unit. (accessed 3 Aug 2011)
- Apted, Alfred M. "Roster of Survivors 16th Michigan Veteran Volunteer Infantry" (Grand Rapids, Michigan: s.n.], 1900). FHL Collection Other Libraries.
- Berry, John G., and Marcus Petersen. Souvenir Thirteenth Reunion, 16th Michigan Infantry at Owosso, October 18, 1893. Lansing? Mich: s.n, 1893. FHL Fiche 6084668 Other Libraries.
- Crawford, Kim. "The 16th Michigan Infantry". (Dayton, Ohio: Morningside, 2002). FHL Book 977.4 M2ck. Other Libraries.
- This page was last modified on 25 April 2014, at 21:08.
- This page has been accessed 3,027 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki