16th Regiment, New Hampshire InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 16th Regiment New Hampshire Infantry was organized at Concord and mustered in on October 24, 1862. The length of service was for 10 months. They were mustered out at Concord on the 20th of August, 1863. 
For more information about the 16th Regiment, New Hampshire Infantry and its history, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 16th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 19 July 2012).
- Luther Tracy Townsend, History of the Sixteenth Regiment, New Hampshire Volunteers, Norman T. Elliott, Washington, DC, 1894. Available online at Google Books, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6083301, or FHL US/CAN Film 1697603 Item 3.
- 16th New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry - from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, (accessed 11 Mar 2011).
- New Hampshire Infantry Page, (accessed 11 Mar 2011.) New Hampshire Heritage
- Sixteenth New Hampshire Regiment Rosters, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). - This is not a complete roster.
- The following Company Rosters, (accessed 11 Mar 2011), come from the History of the Sixteenth Regiment, New Hampshire Volunteers, by Adjutant Luther Tracy Townsend. Photographs and biographical sketches are included.
- Company A - See page 359.
- Company B - See page 377.
- Company C - See page 400.
- Company D - See page 415.
- Company E - See page 444.
- Company F - See page 462.
- Company G - See page 480.
- Company H - See page 501.
- Company I - See page 525.
- Company K - See page 549.
- Company A - many men from Grafton County and Sullivan County - AGR page 468.
- Company B - many men from Carroll County and Hillsborough County - AGR page 472.
- Company C - most men from Hillsborough County - AGR page 475.
- Company D - many men from Merrimack County - AGR page 478.
- Company E - many men from Merrimack County - AGR page 482.
- Company F - many men from Sullivan County and Cheshire County - AGR page 485.
- Company G - many men from Hillsborough County - AGR page 488.
- Company H - many men from Merrimack County and Hillsoborough County - AGR page 491.
- Company I - many men from Cheshire County, Sullivan County and Hillsborough County - AGR page 495.
- Company K - many men from Rockingham County - AGR page 498.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Connecticut in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Connecticut in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Connecticut, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Footnote.com, (accessed 1 Apr 2011). (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- Otis F.R. Waite, New Hampshire in the Great Rebellion, Claremont, New Hampshire: Tracy, Chase & Co., c1991. Page 528. Available online with Google Books, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). Also found at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.2 M2w. This book shows a list of the field, staff and company officers, and the official record of each.
- Private Charles H. Osgood of Company C, (accessed 11 Mar 2011), 16th New Hampshire Infantry Regiment - Photograph
- Augustus D. Ayling, Adjutant General, Revised register of the soldiers and sailors of New Hampshire in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1866, Concord, New Hampshire : Ira C. Evans, 1895. Available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.2 M23nh, or FHL US/CAN Film 1697872, Item 1-2. Book contains a good summary of each New Hampshire regiment. Also contains alphabetical that list the birth place, age or enlistment, place of residence at the time of enlistment.
- Henry L. Johnson, Souvenir roster of the 371 living members of the Sixteenth Regiment New Hampshire Volunteers thirty-three years after enlistment, Bethesda, Maryland, University of Publications of America, c1991. Available on microfiche at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6083300.
- This page was last modified on 26 March 2013, at 15:32.
- This page has been accessed 735 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More