16th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 16th Regiment, New York Infantry was organized at Albany, N. Y., and mustered in for two years May 15, 1861. The regiment mustered out May 22, 1863. .
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 16th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 2 August 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 16th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 2 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A – Principally recruited in St. Lawrence County.
Company B – Principally recruited in St. Lawrence County.
Company C – Principally recruited in Clinton County.
Company D – Principally recruited in St. Lawrence County.
Company E – Principally recruited in Clinton County.
Company F – Principally recruited in St. Lawrence County.
Company G – Principally recruited in St. Lawrence County.
Company H – Principally recruited in St. Lawrence County.
Company I – Principally recruited in Malone, Franklin County .
Company K – Principally recruited in Clinton County.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Curtis, Newton Martin. From Bull Run to Chancellorsville, the story of the Sixteenth New York Infantry together with personal reminiscences. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992)FHL Fiche 6083682 and (New York, New York : G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1906) FHL Book 974.7 M2c
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line)
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database.
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- Thompson, William W.Historical sketch of the Sixteenth Regiment N.Y.S. Volunteer Infantry, April 1861-May 1863 : first reunion, Potsdam, N.Y., August 31st and September 1st, 1886. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083683
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- This page was last modified on 20 February 2014, at 21:58.
- This page has been accessed 750 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page