17th Battalion Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Organized in June 1862, with seven companies.
- The unit was assigned to B. H. Robertson's and W. E. Jones' Brigade, and fought in western Virginia and in the Maryland Campaign.
- During February 1863, it merged into the 11th Regiment Virginia Cavalry.
- Lieutenant Colonel Oliver R. Funsten and Major William Patrick were in command.
- Also called 1st Battalion
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- This page was last modified on 28 April 2011, at 19:48.
- This page has been accessed 336 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki