17th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, and mustered in June 12, 1861. They were in the capture of Macon April 20 and post duty at Macon till August. They mustered out August 8, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 17th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 2 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 17th Indiana Infantry Regiment, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer with Staff - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Martin County - see Roster on page 344
- Company B - many men from Boone County - see Roster on page 347
- Company C - many men from Pike, Harrison, and Crawford counties - see Roster on page 350
- Company D - many men from Johnson County - see Roster on page 352
- Company E - many men from Gibson County - see Roster on page 354
- Company F - many men from Johnson, Marshall, Wabash,Floyd, Pike, and Miami counties - see Roster on page 357
- Company G - many men from Madison County - see Roster on page 359
- Company H - many men from Gibson County - see Roster on page 362
- Company I - many men from Sullivan County - see Roster on page 364
- Company K - many men from Lawence County - see Roster on page 367
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 370
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 17th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 18 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 17th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wilipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 17th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Company "A", 17th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (accessed 30 Dec 2010) timeline
- 17th Indiana Infantry Regiment, History
- Merrill, Samuel. The Seventieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry in the War of the Rebellion, (by Samuel Merrill. Indianapolis: Bowen-Merrill, 1900.)FHL US/CAN Film 1550180 FHL Collection other library Internet Archive
- Thomson, Orville. Narrative of the Service of the Seventh Indiana Infantry in the War for the Union. Baltimore, (MD: Butternut and Blue, 1993.) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084367 (3 fiche) FHL Collection other library
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865) Records of the Seventeenth Regiment Volunteers Indiana, 1861-1865 FHL US/CAN Film 1403057 Item 7 FHL Collection
- Benefiel, W. H. H. Seventeenth Regiment Indiana Veteran Volunteer Mounted Infantry Roster of Surviving Members and Sketch of History. (Pendleton? Ind: 17th Ind. Regt'l. Association, 1912.) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084375 (1 fiche) FHL Collection other libraries
- This page was last modified on 21 June 2012, at 16:06.
- This page has been accessed 2,334 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki