18th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Ind., and mustered in August 16, 1861. They had Provost duty in Southern Georgia till August. It was mustered out August 28, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 18th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 2 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 18th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 22 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer with Staff - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Dearborn County - see Roster on page 372
- Company B - many men from Lawrence County - see Roster on page 374
- Company C - many men from Vermillion County - see Roster on page 376
- Company D - many men from Switzerland County - see Roster on page 377
- Company E - many men from Martin County - see Roster on page 379
- Company F - many men from Franklin and Lawrence counties - see Roster on page 380
- Company G - many men from Washington County - see Roster on page 382
- Company H - many men from Monroe,Owen, and Hamilton counties - see Roster on page 384
- Company I - many men from Johnson County - see Roster on page 385
- Company K - many men from Shelby County - see Roster on page 387
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 389
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 18th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 18 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 18th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wilipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) articile on the 18th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana.
- 18th Indiana Infantry Regiment (accessed 30 Dec 2010) timeline
- 18th Indiana Infantry Regiment, (accessed 1 May 2011) Brief History
- Morrison, Theophilus Wiley, "Recollections of Salem", (Indiana Magazine of History 29, no. 3 (September 1933): 248-253.) 1861, Washington County (Salem), 18th Indiana, Volunteer Infantry, Co. G Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF
- 18th Indiana Infantry Regiment, (accessed 1 Jun 2011) personal histories
- This page was last modified on 21 June 2012, at 16:08.
- This page has been accessed 1,207 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More