18th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This regiment was organized at Laclede, Mo., July to November, 1861. It was attached to District of St. Louis, Dept. of Missouri, to March, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 6th Division, Army of the Tennessee, to July, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 6th Division, District of Corinth, Miss., to November, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 6th Division, District of Corinth, 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, November, 1862. 3rd Brigade, District of CorInth, 13th Army Corps, to December, 1862. 3rd Brigade, District of Corlnth, 17th Army Corps, to January, 1863. 3rd Brigade, District of Corinth, 16th Army Corps, to March, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 16th Army Corps, to November, 1863. Fuller's Brigade, 2nd Division, 16th Army Corps, to January, 1864. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 16th Army Corps, to March, 1864. 1st Brigade, 4th Division, 16th Army Corps, to September, 1864. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 17th Army Corps, to July, 1865. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 18th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 25 July 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 18th Missouri Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 25 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - Captain Jonas Durman and Captain John L. Jones - Linn, Missouri
Company B - Captain Thomas W. Hatfield and Captain Henry P. Stults - Sullivan, Missouri.
Company C - Captain William H. Cooper, Captain Edward S. Bonelly and Joseph M. Stanley - Grundy, Missouri.
Company D - Captain Roderick R. Rockwood, Captain William P. Serman and George W. Wyckoff - Putmen, Missouri.
Company E - Captain Jachob L. Clark, M. Elwood Miller and Captain Henry Reynolds - Putman, Missouri.
Company F - Captain Francis M. Bell, Captian William Bantner, Captain James D. Coddington and Captain William H. Minter - Carroll, Missouri.
Company G - Captain William Hemstreet - Platte, Missouri
Company H - Captain Peter R. Dolman and Captain charles Mansfield - Chariton, Missouri.
Company I - Captain Richard F. Fallis - Putman, Missouri.
Company K - Captain Darius O. Cudworth and Captain James A. Price -Platte, Missouri.
The information about the companies and counties is from Kenneth E. Weant's book, Civil War Records, Missouri Volunteer Infantry, Volume 3, Three Year Volunteer Regiments 11-18, 25, (Arlington, Texas: K.E. Weant, c2011), pages 140-157. FHL 977.8 M2wkv v. 2
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Missouri in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Missouri in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Missouri, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Sargeant, Charles Sheldon. Personal recollections of the 18th Missouri Infantry in the war for the Union. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082536
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2014, at 17:50.
- This page has been accessed 1,817 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page