19th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, and mustered in July 29, 1861. They were consolidated with 20th Indiana Infantry October 18, 1864.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 19th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 2 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 19th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Field and Staff - see Roster
- Non-Commissioned Staff and Band - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Madison County - see Roster
- Company B - many men from Wayne County - see Roster
- Company C - many men from Randolph County - see Roster
- Company D - many men from Marion County - see Roster
- Company E - many men from Delaware County - see Roster
- Company F - many men from Marion County - see Roster
- Company G - many men from Elkhart County - see Roster
- Company H - many men from Bartholome, and Johnson counties - see Roster
- Company I - many men from Owen County - see Roster
- Company K - many men from Delaware County - see Roster
- Index by Name - see Roster
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 19th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry web site
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 19th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 19th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 19th Indiana Infantry Regiment (accessed 30 Dec 2010) timeline
- 19th Indiana Volunteer Infantry (accessed 12 Dec 2010) The goal of this project is to locate and photograph the final resting place for the soldiers who served in the 19th Indiana Volunteer Infantry.
- The 19th Indiana Volunteer Infantry (accessed 7 Apr 2011) The Iron Brigade
- Dudlay, William M. (Brig. Gen.), "Sergeant Major Blanchard at Gettysburg", ed. Norma Hawkins Fuller, Indiana Magazine of History 34, no. 2 (June 1938): 212-216.) (1863, unknown, 19th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF (accessed 6 Apr 2011)
- Jones, Joshua, "'Absent So Long from Those I Love': The Civil War Letters of Joshua Jones", (ed. Eugene H. Berwanger, Indiana Magazine of History 88, no. 3 (September 1992): 205-239.) 1862, Delaware County (Muncie), 19th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. E Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF
- Copamy "K," 19th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Civil War Letter
- Watkins, Eugene D. The Elkhart County Guards: Company G, 19th Indiana Volunteer Infantry. (Thesis (M.A.)--University of Richmond, 1999, 1999. ) other library
- Dunn, Craig L. 1995. Iron men, iron will: the nineteenth Indiana regiment of the Iron Brigade. Indianapolis, IN: Guild Press of Indiana.977.2 M2d FHL US/CAN BookFHL Collection other library Google Books
- This page was last modified on 21 June 2012, at 16:10.
- This page has been accessed 1,361 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More