1st Regiment, Engineers and Mechanics, MichiganEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 1st Regiment, Engineers and Mechanics was Organized at Marshall, Michigan, September 12, 1861. It was mustered in through October 29, 1861. It was mustered out September 22, 1865 at Nashville, Tennessee. The regiment was discharged at Jackson, Michigan, October 1, 1865
For more information about the 1st Regiment, Engineers and Mechanics and its history see: 1st Michigan Engineers and Mechanics web page includes histories, names of officers. Addiditional history on The Civil War Archive.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Hoffman, Mark. My Brave Mechanics (Detroit. Wayne State University Press, 2007), pages 435. Digital version at Google Books. Other Libraries . This book includes letters, diaries, regimental records, and local newspaper accounts of the 1st Michigan Engineers and Mechanics. It discusses their Engineering accomplishments as well as their combat experiences.
- Sligh, Charles R. "History of the services of the First Regiment Michigan Engineers and Mechanics, during the Civil War, 1861-1865" (Grand Rapids, Michigan. White Print Company, 1921) 6 pages. Digital version at Google Books. FHL Fiche 6078587
- Michigan. Adjutant General's Office and George H. Turner "Record of service of Michigan volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865; record of First Michigan Engineers and Mechanics in the Civil War, 1861- 1865" (Lansing, Michigan. Adjutant General's-Department, 1905) 125 pages. Fiche 6084623
- This page was last modified on 19 March 2014, at 21:04.
- This page has been accessed 3,200 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page