1st Regiment, Georgia Cavalry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 1st Regiment, Georgia Cavalry assembled during the fall of 1861 at Rome, Georgia. Many of its members were recruited in the counties of Meriwether, Floyd, and Lumpkin. The regiment surrendered with the Army of Tennessee.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company F, 1st Georgia Cavalry, Walker County, Rosters, Archives Military Records.....Muster Roll 1932 Civilwar by Joy Fisher USGenWeb
- Company I, 1st Georgia Cavalry, Walker County, Rosters, Archives Military Records.....Muster Roll 1932 Civilwar by Joy Fisher USGenWeb
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project - Civil War Records - Individual Soldiers
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Smith, Byron. Reminiscences of a Confederate prisoner : Scott's Cavalry, composed of 1st Georgia, 1st Louisiana and 3rd Tennessee regiments : a true story full of interesting events. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082347
- Watkins, Raymond W. (Raymond Wesley). Confederate burials, Jackson County, Florida : 15th Confederate Cavalry (The 1st Regiment, Alabama and Florida Cavalry). (Falls Church, Virginia : R.W. Watkins, 1988), FHL book 975.993 M2w digitized
- This page was last modified on 26 August 2014, at 16:42.
- This page has been accessed 1,844 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page