1st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Ramsey's) (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 1st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Ramsey's) was formed at Macon, Georgia, in April, 1861. The men were raised in the towns and cities of Newnan, Perry, Augusta, Sandersville, Atlanta, Bainbridge, Quitman, Dahlonega, and Columbus. This regiment mustered out of service in Macon. However, many of the men joined the 12th Georgia Artillery Battalion and other Georgia commands 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Regimental Roster (accessed March 2013)
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices, and Staff - see - Roster on page 226
- Company A - (Newnan Guards) - Coweta County - see - Roster on page 213; USGENWEB
- Company B - (Southern Guards) - Muscogee County - see - Roster on page 227; USGENWEB
- Company C - (Southern Rights Guards) - Houston County - see - Roster on page 233; USGENWEB
- Company D - (Oglethorpe Infantry) - Richmond County - see - Roster on page 242; USGENWEB; 2nd USGENWEB ; GeorgiaArchives
- Company E - (Washington Rifles) - Washington County - see - Roster on page 255; history on page 253; USGENWEB; 2nd USGENWEB
- Company F - (Gate City Guards) - Fulton County - see - Roster on page 266;
- Company G - (Bainbridge Independents) - Decatur County - see - Roster on page 272; USGENWEB
- Company H - (Dahlonega Vols.) - Lumpkin County - see - Roster on page 283; USGENWEB
- Company I - (Walker Light Infantry) - Richmond County - see - Roster on page 290; 2nd USGENWEB ; GeorgiaArchives
- Company K - (Quitman Guards) - Monroe County - see - Roster on page 298; USGENWEB
Georgia, and Lillian Henderson. 1959. Roster of the Confederate soldiers of Georgia, 1861-1865. Hapeville, Ga: Longina & Porter. WorldCat FHL Collection HATHI TRUST Digital Library; also USGENWEB; Georgia Confederate Units
Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 1st (1861-1862), (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990) FHL6082353
Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Decatur County). Muster roll of the First Regiment of Georgia Volunteers, 1861. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1961) FHL film 249613
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- A detailed history of this unit can be accessed at First Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment (Ramsey's)
- This page was last modified on 15 July 2014, at 21:49.
- This page has been accessed 1,970 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki