1st Regiment, Indiana Heavy ArtilleryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 1st Regiment was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, July 24, 1861. It mustered out August 22, 1865 at Montgomery, Alabama.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 1st Regiment Heavy Artillery "Jackass Regiment", (accessed 26 May 2012)
- The Wikipedia article, 1st Regiment Indiana Heavy Artillery, (accessed 20 June 2012)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer with Staff - see Roster
- Company A - many men from La Grange County, Elkhart County, Clay County, Perry County, Steuben County, and Miami County - see Roster on page 447
- Company B - many men from Owen County, Hendricks County, La Porte County, Marion County, and Morgan County - see Roster on page 451
- Company C - many men from Greene County, Floyd County, Vigo County, and Owen County - see Roster on page 454
- Company D - many men from Sullivan County and Boone County - see Roster on page 457
- Company E - many men from Putnam County, Parke County, and Clay County - see Roster on page 460
- Company F - many men from Martin County - see Roster on page 463
- Company G - many men from Knox County - see Roster on page 465
- Company H - many men from Parke County, Montgomery County, Jay County, and Vermillion County - see Roster on page 469
- Company I - many men from Clay County - see Roster on page 472
- Company K - many men from Clay County, Parke County, Howard County, and Sullivan County - see Roster on page 475
- Company L - many men from Marion County, Howard County, Sullivan County, Shelby County, Johnson County, Parke County, Tipton County, Jefferson County, andMorgan County - see Roster on page 478
- Company M - many men from Marion County, Shelby County, Johnson County, Rush County, Henry County, Huntington County, Ohio County, and Knox County - see Roster on page 480
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 483
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 21th Indiana Infantry/ 1st Indiana Heavy Artilley on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 1st Regiments Indiana Heavy Artillery.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 1st Regiment, Indiana Heavy Artillery.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Company B, Twenty-First Indiana/ First Heavy Artillery (accessed 08 Dec 2010) Small history and roster of First Heavy Artillery
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ "Military History" Chapter 9 in History of Knox and Daviess County, Indiana: from the earliest time to the present, with biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc., together with an extended history of the Colonial days of Vincennes, and its progress down to the formation of the State government. (1975. Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic, Inc.),( page 218; Regiment,Companies)977.23 H2g FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- This page was last modified on 26 September 2013, at 00:05.
- This page has been accessed 4,195 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page