1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers) was organized at St. Cloud, St. Peters and Fort Snelling, Minnesota on October 9 to December 30, 1862. It was mustered out from October 20 to December 7, 1863 at Fort Ripley and Fort Snelling,Minnesota.
For more information about this regiment, see the following:
- Wikipedia,(accessed 9 Dec 2010) article for 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers).
- The Civil War Archive section, 1st Regiment Cavalry "Mounted Rangers", (accessed 28 March 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks. Also see the Dalby Database, a site from Minnesota, searchable by men, counties, regiments and companies.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Minnesota in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Minnesota in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Minnesota, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) Contains brief history of this regiment.
- Rootsweb. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) "Mounted Rangers" history and a roster of the men from Wabasha County.
- ResearchOnline. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) A brief history and biblography about the 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers).
- Carley, Kenneth, and Richard Moe. Minnesota in the Civil War: An Illustrated History. (Minnesota Historical Society Press, c2000). Book of battle histories, photographs, short biographies and a roster of the different regiments with their officers, beginning on page 204. Google book (Not all pages are shown). WorldCat book.
- Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies : [Minnesota]. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993). FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084700. Other libraries with this book.
- Minnesota. Minnesota in the Civil and Indian Wars 1861-1865. (St. Paul, Minn: Electrotyped and printed for the State by the Pioneer Press Company, 1890).FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Book 977.6 H2bc. Other libraries with this book. Click on the FHL Collection link to view this book online. It contains detailed histories and rosters of each Minnesota Military Unit.
- Narrative and rosters of the Minnesota Mounted Rangers & Cavalry, (Roseville, MN : Park Genealogical Books, [199-?]). Other libraries with this book.
- Minnesota. Adjutant General's Office. Minnesota Adjutant General's Report of 1866. (Roseville, Minnesota : Park Genealogical Books, c1997). FHL US/CAN Book 977.6 M2ma Other libraries with this book. Arranged in alphabetical order by soldier's name. Gives soldier's name, age, birthplace, rank, regiment, company, date and place mustered in, date and place mustered out, and other information.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Film 1488542. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- This page was last modified on 20 March 2014, at 16:46.
- This page has been accessed 2,163 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki