1st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (3 months, 1861) (Union)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 1st Regiment, Virginia Infantry had three months service, May to August 1861. 
"Compendium of the War of the Rebellion" by Frederick H. Dyer contains no history for this unit. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Roster by company at First West Virginia Infantry: First Regiment Virginia Infantry.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in Virginia in the Civil War and United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Virginia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Virginia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Sifakis, Stewart. Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Virginia. New York, NY: Facts on File, 1992- 1995. (Family History Library book 975 M2ss, Ten Volumes.) This gives organization information for each unit and its field officers, assignments, and battles. It also lists sources further reading. Volume 5 is for Virginia.
- Wallace, Lee A. A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations, 1861-1865. Lynchburg, Virginia: H. E. Howard, 1986. (Family History Library book 975.5 M2vr, Volume 29.) This gives brief historical sketches of each regiment and lists officers, company names, and commanders.
- Rawling, C.J. The History of the First Regiment Virginia Infantry: Being a Narrative of the Military Movements in the Mountains of Virginia, in the Shenandoah Valley and East of the Blue Ridge During the War of the Rebellion, of the First Regiment Virginia Infantry Volunteers -- Three Months' and Three Years' Service. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1887. On the Internet at Linda Cunningham Fluharty's site, First West Virginia History; FHL Film 1550620.
- ↑ Linda Cunningham Fluharty. First West Virginia: First Regiment Virginia Infantry (accessed 25 May 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- This page was last modified on 12 December 2011, at 17:18.
- This page has been accessed 396 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page