22nd Regiment, Michigan InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 22nd Regiment, Michigan Infantry was organized at Pontiac, Michigan and mustered in August 29, 1862. It was mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee on June 26, 1865. 
For a history of this regiment see Michigan in the War which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
- The Wikipedia article, 22nd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 13 July 2012).
- The Civil War Archive section, 22nd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 21 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Casamer, Douglas M., and Linda S. Champion. "The History of the Michigan 22nd Infantry Regiment and the Men Who Served" ( United States: s.n., 2006.) WorldCat .
- Dean, Henry S. The relief of Chattanooga : a paper read before the Commandery of the State of Michigan, Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States at Detroit, Mich., May 4, 1893. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6084685.
- Michigan Adjutant General and George H. Turner. "Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 [Twenty-Second Infantry]" (Lansing, Michigan: Michigan Adjutant-General's Dept, 1905). FHL Fiche 6084684. Other Libraries.
- Stewart, Charles L. "The 22nd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War: 'The Marching Regiment'" (Michigan: The Author?], 2004). WorldCat.
- Seeking Michigan website. History of the 22nd Regiment, Michigan infantry with brief information about soldiers and officers. (Accessed 17 Aug 2011)
- Southfield in the Civil War website. Gives a history of the regiment and some information on Soldiers in this regiment from Southfield, Michigan. (Accessed Aug. 17, 2011)
- This page was last modified on 27 October 2014, at 20:11.
- This page has been accessed 2,247 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page