23rd Battalion, Alabama SharpshootersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
23rd Battalion Sharpshooters was organized in November, 1863, at Charleston, Tennessee. Its members were from Companies E, F, and G, of the 1st Battalion, Hilliard's Alabama Legion. Only 4 officers and 43 men surrendered in April, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Companies by County:
- Company E - many men from Chambers County
- Company F - many men from Conecuh County
- Company G - many men from Montgomery County
The list of companies with their counties is found on history-sites.com web site
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Alabama in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Alabama in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Alabama, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.to find additional information.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:25.
- This page has been accessed 1,072 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News