24th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Organized during the summer of 1861, recruited its members in White, Banks, Towns, Rabun, Gwinnett, Elbert, and Hall counties.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices, and Staff - see - Roster on page 1
- Company A - ("Independent Volunteers") Banks County - see - Roster on page 2; USGenWeb
- Company B - Hart County - see - Roster on page 12; USGenWeb
- Company C - ("White County") White County - see - Roster on page 21; USGenWeb
- Company D - ("Hiawassee Volunteers") Towns County - see - Roster on page 31; USGenWeb
- Company E - ("Rabun Gap Riflemen") Rabun County - see - Roster on page 37; USGenWeb
- Company F - ("Gwinnett Independent Blues) Gwinnett County - see - Roster on page 44; USGenWeb
- Company G - Hall County - see - Roster on page 54; USGenWeb
- Company H - ("Currahee Rangers") Franklin County - see - Roster on page 63; USGenWeb
- Company I - ("Glade Guards Volunteer Rifles") Hall County - see - Roster on page 70; USGenWeb
- Company K - ("McMillan Guards") Habersham County - see - Roster on page 80; USGenWeb
Georgia, and Lillian Henderson. 1959. Roster of the Confederate soldiers of Georgia, 1861-1865. Hapeville, Ga: Longina & Porter. WorldCat FHL Collection HATHI TRUST Digital Library HATHI TRUST ; also on USGenWeb
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project - Civil War Records - Individual Soldiers
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lillian Hendersen, comp., Roster of the Confederate Soldiers of Georgia, 1861-65, six volumes, is a published roster of Georgia Confederate soldiers who served in the infantry. (Hapeville, Georgia: Longino and Porter, 1960-64); FHL book 975.8 M22h; on 3 films 1033660 items 3-4, 1033661, and 1033662 and FHL microfiche 6082336.
- Sutton, E. H. Civil War stories. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082370
- 24th Regiment, C.S.A. is a website that explains some history of this unit as well as its commanders and battles.
- This page was last modified on 23 September 2014, at 15:00.
- This page has been accessed 1,969 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki