24th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, and mustered in November 29, 1862. They mustered out August 3, 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
The Wikipedia article, 24th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 21 June 2012)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer with Staff - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Lawrence County - see Roster on page 542
- Company B - many men from Orange County - see Roster on page 544
- Company C - many men from Vanderburg County - see Roster on page 546
- Company D - many men from Daviess County - see Roster on page 548
- Company E - many men from Pike County - see Roster on page 550
- Company F - many men from Vanderburg County - see Roster on page 552
- Company G - many men from Orange County - see Roster on page 553
- Company H - many men from Pike County - see Roster on page 555
- Company I - many men from Martin County - see Roster on page 557
- Company K - many men from Washington and Daviess counties - see Roster on page 559
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 560
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 24th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on the CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 18 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Website with histories of the Indiana Regiments.
- List of Indiana Civil War regiment (accessed 13 Dec 2010) List of Indiana Regimental that are on Wikipedia.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
Fulfer, Richard J. A History of the Trials and Hardships of the Twenty-Fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry.( [Indianapolis]: Indianapolis Print. Co, 1913.) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084379 (2 fiche) FHL Collection other libraries
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ "The War For The Union" in "Patrictish" Chapter 11 of Jas. T. Tartt Co. 1978. History of Gibson County, Indiana: with illustrations descriptive of its scenery, and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic.), (page 109, Regiment,Companies, Name's),977.235 H2ga FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries
- This page was last modified on 21 June 2012, at 16:19.
- This page has been accessed 1,603 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki