24th Regiment, Iowa InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Muscatine and mustered in September 18, 1862. They mustered out at Savannah, Ga., July 17, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 24th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 26 June 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 24th Iowa Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 26 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - enrolled in Jackson County and Clinton County
Company B - enrolled in Cedar County
Company C - enrolled in Cedar County
Company D - enrolled in Johnson County, Cedar County &c.
Company E - enrolled in Tama County and Iowa County
Company F - enrolled in Linn County
Company G - enrolled in Linn County
Company H - enrolled in Linn County
Company I - enrolled in Jackson County
Company K - enrolled in Jackson County
Information about the companies and their counties comes from Iowa. Adjutant General's Office, Report of the Adjutant General and Acting Quartermaster General of the State of Iowa, (Des Moines [Iowa]: F.W. Palmer, 1863), pages 850-883. FHL book 977.7 M25ag.
Rosters are also listed in this book.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Iowa in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Iowa in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Iowa, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- This page was last modified on 2 March 2013, at 00:35.
- This page has been accessed 672 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki