24th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Organized in Missouri at large October 24 to December 28, 1861. Attached to 1st Brigade, Army of Southwest Missouri, to February, 1862. Unassigned, Army of Southwest Missouri, to July, 1862. District of Eastern Arkansas, Dept. of Missouri, to October, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, Army of Southeast Missouri, Dept. of Missouri, to February, 1863. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, Army of Southeast Missouri, to March, 1863. District of Southeast Missouri to June, 1863. District of Columbus, Ky., 6th Division, 16th Army Corps, Dept. of the Tennessee, to January, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 16th Army Corps, Dept. of the Tennessee, to March, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 16th Army Corps, Dept. of the Gulf, to June, and Dept. of the Tennessee to October, 1864.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 24th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 25 July 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 24th Missouri Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 25 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - Captain Thomas A. Reed and Captain John T. Young - Springfield, Greene, Missouri.
Company B - Captain William F. Bodenhamer and Captain Robert W. Fyan - Rolla,Phelps, Missouri.
Company C - Captain Uriah Johnson and Captain Robert Hoggins - Rolla, Phelps, Missouri.
Company D - Captain Charles B. Owen and Captain William Vaughn - Labanon, Laclede, Missouri.
Company E - Captain William W. McCammon and Captain Lafayette M. Rice - Springfield, Greene, Missouri.
Company F - Captain Samson Barres - Rolla, Phelps, Missouri.
Company G - Captain Andrew W. Curry, Captain Charles Dalrymple and Captain James T. Tallaferro - Rolla, Phelps, Missouri.
Company H - captain James J. Lyon, Captain William H. Stark and Captain Isaac B. Tyler - Rolla, Phelps, Missouri.
Company I - Captain Wyatt Harris - Ironton, Iron, Missouri.
Company K - Captain James R. VanZant - Rolla, Phelps, Missouri.
The information about the companies and counties is from Kenneth E. Weant's book, Civil War Records, Missouri Volunteer Infantry, Volume , Three Year Volunteer Regiments 21,23-24, 26-27,29-30 (Arlington, Texas: K.E. Weant, c2011), pages 51-70. FHL 977.8 M2wkv v. 2
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Missouri in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Missouri in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Missouri, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- This page was last modified on 14 June 2013, at 01:25.
- This page has been accessed 360 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More