26th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 26th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union) was organized in Missouri at large September to December, 1861. Their last assignment was with the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 15th Army Corps, to August, 1865.
26th Regiment, Volunteer Missouri Infantry was enrolled between 20 August 1861 and 20 November 1861. They were ordered into service between 31 August 1861 and 10 January 1862. The Regiment was discharged between 13 December 1864 and 26 December 1865. The Colonels in charge were George B. Boomer and Benjamin D. Dean.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 26th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 26 July 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 26th Missouri Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 26 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - Captain John H. Holman, captain John W. Perry and Captain William M. Robinson - St, Louis, St Louis, Missouri.
Company B - Captain Edward H. Stoddard and Captain John Welker - St Louis, St. Louis, Missouri.
Company C - Captain De Wott C. Brown and Captain James M. Dennis - St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri.
Company D - Captain Lorenzo D. Maynard and Captain Frank G. Schoenen - Miller, Missouri.
Company E - Captain Robert C. Crovell, Captain robert B. Denny and Captain Lagrand F. Rucker - Pacific, Franklin, Missouri.
Company F - Captain William H. Wheeler - Union, Franklin, Missouri.
Company G - captain Charles A. Meyer and Captain Thomas M. Rice - Jefferson City, Cole, Missouri.
Company H - captain John F.F. Koops, Captain William H. Mengel, Captain John Quick, Captain J.M. Rice and Captain Lerenzo Schirner - Osage, Missouri.
Company I - captain John T. Crowe, Captain Benjamin D. Dean, Captain John McFall and Captain John Rees - Union, Franklin, Missouri.
Company K - Lieutenant John C. Walker and Lieutenant Frederick Zener - St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri.
The information about the companies and counties is from Kenneth E. Weant's book, Civil War Records, Missouri Volunteer Infantry, Volume , Three Year Volunteer Regiments 21,23-24, 26-27,29-30 (Arlington, Texas: K.E. Weant, c2011), pages 71-88. FHL 977.8 M2wkv v. -2
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Missouri in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Missouri in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Missouri, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lincoln, H. F. Recollections of the 26th Missouri Infantry, in the war for the Union. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082539
- Stone, Mary Amelia Boomer. Memoir of George Boardman Boomer. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082540
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ Kenneth E. Weant, Civil War Records Missouri Volunteer Infantry, Volume 4 (Arlington, Texas : K.E. Weant, c2011), pages #71-88. FHL book 977.8 M2wkv v. 4
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2014, at 17:54.
- This page has been accessed 889 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page