26th Regiment, South Carolina InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
26th Infantry Regiment was organized at Charleston, South Carolina, in September, 1862, by consolidating the 6th and 9th Battalions South Carolina Infantry. After serving in South Carolina it moved to Mississippi, was placed in N.G. Evans' Brigade. In the spring of 1864 was sent to Virginia. Here it was assigned to Elliott's and Wallace's Brigade  .
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
A Company - Captain Samuel Smart; Captain Henry L. Buck
B Company - Captain John A. Evans
C Company - (also knon as Trenholm Rifles): Captain C.D. Roswell; Captain Henry M. Lofton; Captain R.H. Rogers
D Company - many men from Marlboro District (County): Captain A.D. Smith; Captain Washington W. Davis; Captain Alex E. Bristow; Captain Harris Covington
E Company - Captain John J. Best; Captain Edward Bostick
F Company - Captain Neil F. Graham; Captain Smilie Wadsworth; Captain Wm. P. Kirkley
G Company - Captain R.D.F. Rollins; Captain Daniel W. Carter
H Company - (also known as Chesnut Guards): Captain Henry S. Dickinson
I Company - (also known as Kickapoo Riflemen): Captain C.S. Land
K Company - (also known as Eutaw Riflemen): Captain Levi Grainger; Captain L. Dow Graham; Captain George B. Congdon; Captain B. Lewis Beaty 
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army, as their main source for the regiment history. Family History Library book 973 M2crua, FHL Collection, WorldCat.
- Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- Hudson, Joshua Hilary. Sketches and reminiscences. (Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1989). Contents: Genealogy and autobiography of Joshua Hilary Hudson -- Sketch of the Twenty-Sixth Regiment Infantry, S.C.V., C.S.A. -- Battle of the Crater... Available online at Google Books, and Intenet Archive, (accessed 15 Apr 2011).(Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1989), and FHL film 1689437 Item 2 (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082653,
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ 26th South Carolina Volunteers, (accessed 13 Apr 2011).
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:32.
- This page has been accessed 2,850 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News