2nd Minnesota Company SharpshootersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 2nd Minnesota Company Sharpshooters were organized at St. Paul, Minn.,from November 23, 1861, to March 17, 1862. They were Attached to 1st U. S. Sharpshooters as Company "I" until May 30, 1862. They were assigned to duty with 1st Minnesota Infantry, May 30 to November 23, 1863, then attached to the 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac. They mustered out on March 19, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 1st Minnesota Company Sharpshooters, see the following:
- The Civil War Archive.(accessed 9 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 2nd Minnesota Company Sharpshooters.
- My Civil War. A brief history of the 2nd Minnesota Company Sharpshooters.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks. Also see the Dalby Database, a site from Minnesota, searchable by men, counties, regiments and companies.
The 2nd Minnesota Company Sharpshooters was not divided into different companies.
- ResearchOnline, (accessed 9 Dec. 2010) a brief history and biblography about the 2nd Minnesota Company Sharpshooters.
- Rootsweb. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) Second Sharpshooter history and a roster of the men from Wabasha County.
- Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies : [Minnesota]. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993). FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084700. Other libraries with this book.
- Minnesota. Minnesota in the Civil and Indian Wars 1861-1865. (St. Paul, Minn: Electrotyped and printed for the State by the Pioneer Press Company, 1890).FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Book 977.6 H2bc. Other libraries with this book. Click on the FHL Collection link to view this book online. It contains detailed histories and rosters of each Minnesota Military Unit.
- Minnesota. Adjutant General's Office. Minnesota Adjutant General's Report of 1866. (Roseville, Minnesota : Park Genealogical Books, c1997). FHL US/CAN Book 977.6 M2ma Other libraries with this book. Arranged in alphabetical order by soldier's name. Gives soldier's name, age, birthplace, rank, regiment, company, date and place mustered in, date and place mustered out, and other information.
- This page was last modified on 20 March 2014, at 17:05.
- This page has been accessed 826 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki