2nd Regiment, Connecticut InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 2nd Connecticut Regiment Infantry was organized at New Haven, Connecticut. It was mustered in May 7, 1861 and was mustered out of service August 7, 1861, at New Haven, Connecticut. 
For more information about the 2nd Connecticut Infantry and its history, see:
- Regimental History - The Second Connecticut Volunteers, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Connecticut Military Department. Written by General James B. Coit, Private in Co. B. Includes casualty information.
- The Civil War Archive section, 2nd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 11 April 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 2nd Regiment Connecticut Volunteer Infantry (3 months) (accessed 11 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. This regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut.
Infantry Company A was largely formed by men from Middlesex County.
Infantry Company B
Infantry Company C was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
Infantry Company D was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
Rifle Company A
Rifle Company B
Rifle Company C was largely formed by men from New London County.
Rifle Company D
Rifle Company E was largely formed by men from Litchfield County.
Rifle Company F was largely formed by men from New Haven County.
- Adjutant General's Office, United States Army. Connecticut Infantry Regiment 1,2,3,4, and 5th. Catalogue of the 1st, 2d, 3d, 4th, and 5th regiments, Connecticut volunteers, 1861, (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991). Available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082888.
- Connecticut. Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864, (Hartford, Connecticut : Case, Lockwood, 1864), page 24. Available Online at Internet Archive, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.6 M2a, or FHL US/CAN Film 1550802.
- Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations : (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries, (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), page 26. Includes index. Online at Internet Archives, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082887. (10 fiche) or FHL US/CAN Film 1033670 Item 1.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Connecticut in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- Connecticut in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Connecticut, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 2 Apr 2011), can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book,Units of the Confederate States Army, as their main source for the regiment history. Family History Library book 973 M2crua, FHL Collection, WorldCat, (accessed 2 Apr 2011).
- Footnote.com, (accessed 2 Apr 2011). (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- The Civil War in the East, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Timeline of the 2nd Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- Civil War Soldiers, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). 2nd Connecticut Infantry Regiment - Alphabetical roster of regiment with name and place enlisted.
- This page was last modified on 5 October 2012, at 01:02.
- This page has been accessed 585 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More